By Aimee Cohen, Owner, Success Coaching for Women and
Some people are born networkers. They can walk into a room filled with strangers, and walk out with 100 new best friends and business connections. But what about the rest of us?
If you are a job seeker, then NOT networking is NOT an option. A born networker or not, it’s mandatory to network if you want to find a job.
Networking has always been, and will always be, the number one, most successful job search strategy. It has a 75-80% success rate and 90% success rate for executives…no other strategy comes close. It really is all about who you know. It’s called your “social capital”.
But what if the thought of networking causes you to break out into a sweat? What if you’re the type of person who uses every excuse in the book to not attend an event? And what if you get tongue-tied just thinking about delivering your Elevator Pitch?
Use these Top 10 Networking Tips and you’ll be networking like a pro in no time!
- Set realistic goals and expectations
- Focus on quality connections, not quantity
- Practice your Elevator Pitch and come prepared with other conversation topics (current events, sports, etc…)
- Bring your networking tools (business cards, pen, smart phone, etc…)
- Work on developing relationships not selling yourself
- Be an active listener and ask questions
- Give referrals and be a resource
- Act like a host not a guest
- Measure your efforts and results
- Follow-up, follow-up, follow up!
Networking isn’t easy for everyone, but now you have some really helpful tips to get you started. You’ll soon realize it’s not as scary as you thought, and then you can start reaping the benefits of building and maintaining an effective network.
What is your biggest challenge when it comes to networking? Are you an introvert? Are you not sure what to say? Are you struggling to find the right networking events?
Share this article: